It's not the news you want to hear so close to Easter, but it looks like Cyclone Cook will be raining on the Easter bunny's trail this long weekend.
Severe weather warnings have been issued across New Zealand as Cyclone Cook brings with it heavy rain and widespread flooding. People are being urged to reconsider their travel plans and to brace for wet and damaging weather.
Here's what you can do to prepare for the Easter floods.
How to Prepare for Flooding
- Remove as many household items as possible to a high point
- Pile furniture & personal items on beds
- Keep emergency radio, torch & mobile on hand
- Remove all drawers from built-ins
- Tie down loose items in your yard
- Park your vehicles in the garage if possible
- Move all chemicals that may react with water to a water-proof container & place at high level
- Disconnect all gas cylinders & gas bottles
- Close the main water valve
- Reconsider your travel plans
- Have your insurer's contact numbers on hand in case you need to make a claim
You can follow live updates on Cyclone Cook here. So far, warnings have been issued for the following places:
- Bay of Plenty
- Mt Taranaki
- Tongariro NP
- Marlborough Sounds
- Richmond and Bryant Ranges
- North Otago
We hope you stay safe and dry over the next few days and if you need us, we are never far away. Just call 0800 00 YOUI (9684).